I assume you already download raspbian and write image file to Micro SD.
the next step is then turning on the power and see if we can access raspberry pi via laptop.
what you need
1. 2 lan cable that is connected to router. (any lan cable that on the network that offer dhcp). 1 cable for your laptop, 1 cable is for raspberry pi.
2. nmap installed on windows.
3. windows powershell
Step by step
1. power on your raspberry pi, dont plug lan cable first.
2. on your laptop which is connected to lan cable, open powershell
windows logo –> type powershell.
3. type ipconfig command to determine your ip address & netwrok
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : x.x.x.x
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.12
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
4. do nmap scan (ping scan) to record all up connection, and put it on file
nmap -v -sn “your network” | findstr “your network part only ip” | findstr /v down > first.txt
nmap -v -sn 10.2.133.86/24 | findstr “10.2.133.” | findstr /v down > first.txt
this will output any up ip address in your network before you connect you raspberry pi to your network
5. plug in lan cable to your raspberry pi, wait for a while to make sure raspberry pi got dhcp ip address. then enter this command on power shell
nmap -v -sn 192.168.1.0/24 | findstr “192.168.1” | findstr /v down > second.txt
this will output any up ip address in your network including your raspberry pi connection.
6. compare two files to see which one is you raspberry pi address
compare those two files using this command on powershell
compare (Get-Content .\first.txt) (Get-Content .\second.txt)
example result :
Nmap scan report for 192.168.1.14 =>
Nmap scan report for 192.168.1.15 =>
Nmap scan report for 192.168.1.9 <=
7. open putty, and try to ssh each IP address listed in result. one of those ip address list is your raspberry pi ip address. input username: pi and password: raspberry to login via putty to you raspberry pi
8. delete unnecessary files. on powershell enter this command:
del first.txt second.txt