Backtrack is generally ubuntu with various penetration-testing software and security software installed inside. It is linux distribution that focused for security testing needed, so at your fresh install you will not find any desktop application software installed. nah, becaus of this you will not able use this software to please you with standard application such as mp3 player, file reader, etc.
here some software needed to be installed after you fresh installation.
1. Internet browser : For KDE there is Konkueror installed, but u can install other internet browser such as firefox and google chrome. after u connect the internet using wicd network manager, just use apt-get to install those software
apt-get install firefox
apt-get install chromium-browser
2. Music Player : Thera some options such as amarok, banshee, and vlc player. but unfortunately (in my case) backtrack 5 can’t play mp3 file. you can solved this problem by installing gxine with all its dependencies.
here is the command :
sudo apt-get install gstreamer0.10-pitfdll gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad-multiverse gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly-multiverse gxine libxine-main1 libxine-extracodecs ogle ogle-gui
i get it from http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-335023.html
3. Video player : After u do the command above, any video file (must be) can be played with gxine or other software.
4. Pdf reader : thera some pdf reader avaliable such as : document viewer and xpdf, i think evince works better.
apt-get install evince
apt-get install kpdf
5. Text editor : u can use nano (shell) as text editor but gedit should give you better view.
apt-get install gedit
6. When i tried to open .chm file i find error occured, the software can not properly view the .chm file as it is. then i find out from google to use kchmviewer. kchmviewer is good .chm viewer for ubuntu.
[php]apt-get install kchmviewer[/php]
other software, u can easily choose it from package manager.